Where am I?

Admission Requirements & Policies

The next application cycle for the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology will begin in fall of 2015 when we will be listed with the Communication Sciences and Disorder Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS). At this time, we will accept applications exclusively through CSDCAS, which can be found here. Applications are due January 15, 2016.

Fontbonne does not require the GRE for graduate admissions.

If you have any questions, email us or call 314.719.3636.

Grade Definitions

The following grading scale and definitions are used for graduate programs at Fontbonne University:

  • A Superior graduate work
  • A-
  • B+
  • B Satisfactory graduate work
  • B-
  • C Less than satisfactory graduate work
  • F Unsatisfactory work; no academic credit
  • P/NP Pass is defined as a grade of B or better
  • I Incomplete
  • W Withdrawal

Pass/No Pass (P/NP) Grading Option

The only courses a graduate student may take Pass/No Pass (P/NP) are courses designated as such by the department.

Satisfactory Progress

For satisfactory progress in a graduate program, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.

To earn a Fontbonne University graduate degree, students must attain a 3.0 final GPA. The following policies apply:

  • A student who initially earns a C in a graduate course will be allowed to continue in the program with the approval of the program director. However, the student must eventually balance that C with an A in order to graduate from the program. A student who initially earns an F in a graduate course may be dismissed or, with the approval of the program director, must retake the course in which the F was earned and earn a minimum of a B. If the student fails to earn a minimum of a B, the student will be dismissed from the program.
  • A student who earns a second C may be dismissed from the program or, with the approval of the program director and a dean, may retake one of the two courses in which the C was earned. The program director may set the conditions for retaking the course, including which of the two courses should be repeated.
  • A student who initially earned a C in a graduate course and who then earns an F in a graduate course will be dismissed from the program. A student who initially earned an F in a graduate course and who earns a second poor grade (C or F) will be dismissed from the program.

Note: The policy above speaks to initial grades. Although students may retake classes for higher grades, application of the policy will be based upon initial grades earned.

Full-Time Status

A graduate student who takes a minimum of nine credit hours is considered a full-time graduate student at Fontbonne University.

Hours Taken as an Unclassified Student

A maximum of 12 graduate credit hours, taken as an unclassified student at Fontbonne, will be allowed to count toward a Fontbonne graduate degree after the student is admitted to the graduate program.

Any unclassified graduate student who earns a second C or first F in a graduate course will not be allowed to continue to take graduate courses in the program in which the student has earned the above grades.

Dual Enrollment

A Fontbonne undergraduate student may be eligible to earn graduate academic credit for graduate level courses only after the student becomes dually enrolled. Dual enrollment means that the student is enrolled as an undergraduate student and as an unclassified graduate student when enrolled in a graduate course. Enrollment in graduate courses must be approved by the graduate program director.

A maximum of nine graduate credit hours taken during dual enrollment may be applied to the total required for the master’s degree.

Transfer of Credit

Upon admission to Fontbonne, a graduate student may transfer a maximum of six credit hours of graduate courses from an accredited degree-granting institution. All courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of B. The student must submit official transcripts of all work completed at other accredited institutions before transfer credit may be awarded. Transfer courses must be comparable in content to Fontbonne courses. The Fontbonne course replaced by the transfer course will be determined by the program director and approved by the department chairperson. An additional six (6) hours of transfer credit may be accepted toward the MFA.

Courses Taken Across Departments within Fontbonne University

A student must receive PRIOR written approval from each of the program directors to enroll for a course offered in another department.

Substitution/Waiver of Degree Requirements

A student may apply to the program director for a substitution of one course for another or for waiver of a specific course where there is evidence that the requirements for that course have been met. A program director may decide whether to substitute one course for another or waive a course. The degree modification form, obtained from the registrar’s office, must be completed and signed by the appropriate director, chairperson, and academic dean. The total number of hours required for completion of the degree may not be waived.

Authorization to Study at Another Institution

Once a graduate student has matriculated to Fontbonne, the student must receive written program approval to study at another institution. Fontbonne will accept a maximum of six credit hours of graduate transfer work; deadlines for the receipt of the transcript(s) must be met
for the student to participate in commencement.

Residency Requirement

Residency requirements may be found under the description of the respective program.

Statute of Limitations

After official acceptance into a degree program, a graduate student must complete all the requirements for the graduate degree within six years of the date of the first course taken.

Appeal Procedures

Students who are dismissed from a graduate program or from the university may appeal the decision by writing a letter of appeal to the appropriate administrator (dean of business, dean of education, or Vice President and Dean for Academic Affairs) within thirty calendar days of being
dismissed as indicated by the date on the dismissal letter.

The administrator will present the appeal to the Graduate Academic and Curriculum Committee within seven calendar days of the receipt of the letter of appeal for a decision.

Readmission to Fontbonne University

Degree-seeking graduate students who have previously attended Fontbonne University but have not been enrolled for one year must apply for readmission. A graduate student who has been dismissed for academic deficiencies may apply for readmission to Fontbonne University after one year. To apply for readmission, candidates must submit an application form and official transcripts from each accredited degree-granting college or university attended since leaving Fontbonne.
A student re-entering a graduate program must follow the graduate requirements in the Fontbonne University catalog in effect at the time of registration.

Granting of Degrees

A graduate student must complete all graduate requirements for the degree with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Ordinarily, a student may participate in the commencement ceremony (May or December) only if all degree requirements and financial obligations to the university are satisfied.