Where am I?
The Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Fontbonne allows students to explore all aspects of the human experience — from individual brain functions to the actions of social groups within society. The understanding of behavior and mental life is the scientific enterprise of psychologists. Students learn about human development, social and personality psychology, cognition, and many other topics, and learn how to use the scientific method to answer questions, design research projects, and collect data that may help improve the human condition.
Psychology is well suited for students who are interested in understanding the cognitive, behavioral, social, and emotional experiences of themselves and others and who enjoy applying the scientific approach to better understand human thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
Within our 3/2 agreement, students may also apply to earn a master's degree in occupational therapy from Washington University in St. Louis — all in just five years!
In addition to a knowledge base in psychology, students learn essential critical thinking, problem solving, research, and communication skills.
Hear how Zach's decision to major in psychology helped him prepare for future education and career plans.
Psychology Program Highlights
- Students work closely with full-time faculty throughout all four years of the program, allowing faculty to tailor the program to best support each student's unique strengths and interests.
- Students have opportunities to engage in various experiential learning opportunities, such as psychology labs, internships, service projects and research projects.
- Many of our students present their research at local conferences: a rare opportunity for undergraduate students.
- About half of our psychology majors apply to graduate programs and the other half apply for jobs after graduation; our curriculum includes courses that prepare students for both of these options.
Internships/In-Field Learning Experiences
- Equine Assisted Therapy (OT)
- Alton Memorial and St. Claire Hospitals
- St. Louis Crisis Nursery
- Ranken Jordan
- Pattonville School District
- Preferred Family Healthcare
- Bright Horizons Learning Center
Graduate Outcome Data
Around 50 percent of our alumni are employed in careers related to their major, around 10 percent are employed in careers unrelated to their major area but typically requiring a bachelor’s degree, and the other 40 percent entered graduate programs in various fields related to their majors.
Recent graduates of our psychology, applied sociology, and applied behavioral sciences majors are employed at such organizations as:
- Metro Bi-State Development Agency
- The Jane Doe Advocacy Center
- Market Probe Market Research
- Express Scripts
- Giant Steps (supporting children with Autism)
- St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Northwestern Mutual Finance
- Market Strategies International
- Interac (teaching ESL in Japan)
- Great Circle School
- Teach for America
- Veteran’s Business Resource Center
- Sisters of Loretto Catholic Worker Program
- Youth in Need
- The U.S. Army
- The U.S. Air Force Academy
Recent graduates are enrolled in graduate programs at institutions throughout the country. Some programs our recent alumni have enrolled in include:
- Ph.D. program in School Psychology at UMSL
- Ph.D. program in Health Psychology at the University of Rhode Island
- Ph.D. program in Sociology at Yale University
- Ph.D. program in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University
- Ph.D. program in Psychology at SUNY- Buffalo
- Ph.D program in Behavioral Medicine at the University of Southern California
- Ph.D. program in Industrial/ Organizational Psychology at the University of Nebraska- Omaha
- Ph.D. Program in Occupational Therapy at Washington University in St. Louis
- MA in clinical psychology program, SIUE
- MA in clinical psychology program, Vanguard University
- MA in counseling program, UMSL
- MA in counseling program, University of San Diego
- MA in counseling program, Webster University
- MA in counseling program, Concordia University
- MA in counseling program, SEMO
- MA in counseling program, Missouri- Baptist University
- MSOT program, Washington University in St. Louis
- MSW program at SLU
- MSW program at Washington University
- Goldfarb School of Nursing; Washington University School of Medicine
- MA in sociology program, SIUE
- MA in Instructional Technology, SIUE
- MA in Healthcare Management program, SLU
- MA in Kinesiology program, SIUE
- MA in Special Education, Fontbonne University Pathways program
- MA in Criminal Justice program, UMSL
Questions? Contact Admissions: (314) 889-1400 or (800) 205-5862 | email@example.com