Where am I?
- As soon as you hear an obscenity, improper question or no response - HANG UP! It may take the caller 4 or 5 times to get the message, but be consistent and hang up every time. They usually get tired of getting on response and stop calling.
- Don't extend the call trying to figure out who is calling. This or any type of reaction is exactly what the caller wants.
- Don't let the caller know you are upset or angry.
- Any verbal response from you may well be interpreted as a sign of encouragement.
- Don't try to be a counselor. The annoyance or obscene caller needs professional help, but will only be encouraged by your concern and will continue calling.
- While the majority of obscene and annoying phone calls are simply pranks, threats of violence must be taken seriously. Immediately after you receive a call in which there are threats of physical harm or violence report the call to the Public Safety Department and to Clayton Police.
- If the calls persist, keep track of the date and times of the calls. This log will help in the investigation of the incident.