Where am I?

Americans with Disabilities Act Accommodations

Fontbonne University offers services to students with documented physical, visual, hearing, learning or psychiatric disabilities, to the extent that it is able without suffering an undo hardship on the operation of the institution's programs.

Any Fontbonne University student is eligible for services under the following conditions:

  • The student has an obligation to self-identify that he or she has a disability, and, that he or she needs accommodation. This is a significant change for many students who are used to having a secondary school automatically provide services. This is also a significant change for parents who are used to asking for services for their children and being a partner in the educational process.
  • A student must self-identify by submitting a Request for Academic Accommodations to the Director of Academic Resources who serves as the Fontbonne ADA Coordinator. The Kinkel Center for Academic Resources is located on the second floor of the Library. The request for accommodation is valid for one semester, and one semester only. It serves as a release and specifies specific instructor names; the names change each semester and the student must sign a new release each semester.
  • The student has an obligation to provide appropriate and verifiable documentation in a timely fashion. The documentation required by Fontbonne University will vary according to the type of disability. For instance, documentation of a learning disability requires, at minimum, intelligence and achievement test results from a qualified psychological examiner. Fontbonne University follows the Guidelines for Documentation of a Learning Disability in Adolescents and Adults as published by the Association on Higher Education and Disability (1997, July). The Guidelines are available in the Kinkel Center for Academic Resources. For additional information or view Downloads, contact Dr. Mark Pousson at (314)719-3627 or mpousson@fontbonne.edu.
  • Students who receive Academic Accommodations must fill out a Request for Academic Accommodations each semester specifying individual instructor names and class.

    You may Request for Academic Accommodations by downloading this form.