Where am I?


Where can I get information about Missouri teacher certification?

What is the CBASE test?

  • The Missouri State Board of Education has approved the College Basic Academic Subjects Examination as the official assessment required for admittance into professional education programs. CBASE assesses knowledge and skills in four subject areas: English, mathematics, science, and social studies. Questions reflect the broad range of knowledge that most universities and colleges, including junior and community colleges, expect their students to acquire by the end of the sophomore year. Detailed information about the CBASE test can be found on the Assessment Resource Center website.

How do I register for the CBASE test?

  • Registration information is available in East Building Room 235. Fees are paid in the Business Office.

What is the Praxis II exam?

  • The Missouri State Board of Education has approved the PRAXIS II: Subject Assessments/Specialty Area Tests to be the official assessments required for the certification of professional school personnel. Detailed information and on-line registration can be found on the ETS website.

What is DESE?

  • The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.  This is the administrative arm of the State Board of Education.  It is primarily a service agency that works with educators, legislators, government agencies and citizens to maintain a strong public education system.

What is NCATE?

  • The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) is a national accrediting body for schools, colleges, and departments of education authorized by the U.S. Department of Education. NCATE determines which schools, colleges, and departments of education meet rigorous national standards in preparing teachers and other school specialists for the classroom. Accreditation indicates that the school underwent a rigorous external review by professionals, that performance of teacher candidates in the program has been thoroughly assessed before recommendation for licensure, and that the programs meet standards set by the teaching profession at large.

What are the GPA requirements in Fontbonne's teacher education programs?

  • You must maintain a blended cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for coursework from all colleges of record. You must also maintain a blended cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all courses designated as "professional" courses.

How is my GPA determined?

  • Grade point average is computed by dividing the total quality points by the total semester hours attempted.

What is a blended GPA?

  • A blended GPA includes all coursework attempted from all colleges attended.

What are the requirements for major approval?

  • Pass all sections of CBASE test / successfully complete EDU 200/201 (or equivalent) / maintain cumulative blended GPA of 2.5 and a 2.75 GPA in "professional" courses.

When should I apply for major approval?

  • Major approval applications must be submitted after the completion of 45 credit hours but before 60 credit hours at Fontbonne OR after the completion of 12 credit hours at Fontbonne for transfer students.

When do I apply for admission to the Teacher Certification Program?

  • Submit your application by the end of the first semester of your junior year OR by the middle of your third semester on campus if you are a transfer student.

What are the requirements for student teaching?

  • Admitted to Teacher Certification Program / senior status / maintained blended cumulative GPA of 2.5 and "professional" GPA of 2.75 / submitted placement request forms to Director of Student Teaching / received approval for My Journey to Become a Teacher essay.

When do I apply for student teaching?

  • For fall placement, submit your application prior to February 1 of the year prior to student teaching. For a spring placement, submit your application prior to May 1 of the year prior to student teaching.

What is the Culminating Project?

  • The Culminating Project provides evidence of the teacher certification candidate's proficiency in the 11 Quality Indicators of the Missouri Standards for Teacher Education Programs. It is a performance assessment through which the preservice teacher provides evidence of his/her ability to facilitate learning. The project assesses the perservice teacher's ability to design and teach an effective unit of instruction, to assess student performance, and to reflect on the experience. The project focuses on the unit of instruction taught during student teaching and must receive approval from the Teacher Certification Unit before the candidate's application will be forwarded to DESE.

I already have a degree. How can I become a teacher?

  • Fontbonne University offers a Master of Arts degree in Teaching for those who have a degree outside of the education field and want to enter the education profession. This degree is structured to provide you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to teach in today's diverse classrooms. The MAT provides you with an efficient and effective means to achieve initial teacher certification along with an advanced degree. For more information about this program visit our Master of Arts Degree in Teaching (MAT) web page.