Where am I?
Students must successfully complete 36 semester hours of graduate credit to earn a Master of Arts in Early Intervention in Deaf Education. All courses are three credit hours unless stated otherwise.
Prerequisites may be taken during the program.
- CDS 105 Speech and Language Development
- CDS 201 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
- CDS 211 Nature of Language
- CDS 220 Phonetics
- CDS 410 Audiology
Typical schedule for EIDE students
- CDS 523 Intervention with Children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- CDS 555 Pediatric Audiology & Habilitation (3-4 credit hours)
- CDS 500 Introduction to Research Methods
- CDS 531 Communication Development for Children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing (3-4 credit hours)
- CDS 552 Counseling Issues in Communication Disorders
- EDU 525 Assessment and Approaches in ECSE
- CDS 572 Collaborative Seminar (1 credit hour)
- CDS 506 Beginning Sign Language* (1 credit hour)
- CDS 550 Teaching Reading in Deaf Education*
- CDS 571 Comprehensive Graduate Seminar in Early Intervention in Deaf Education (1 credit hour)
- CDS 584 Practicum in Speech*
- ECE 551 Administering Programs for Children and Families (2 credit hours)
- ECE 555 Family Centered Intervention
- CDS 566 Language and Literacy in Children at Risk
- CDS 583 Curriculum in Early Childhood Deaf Education (2 credit hours)
*Required for students who have not taken an equivalent course
Specific courses required for the graduate program are listed in the Fontbonne University Catalog or online at www.fontbonne.edu/catalog.
Practicum experiences are designed to develop knowledge and skills in a variety of settings, including home visits, toddler groups, early childhood classrooms and inclusive early childhood programs. Students will complete three to six hours of practicum.
- CDS 537-539 Advanced Clinical Practicum (1-3 credit hours)
- CDS 518 Students Who Are Deaf/Hard of Hearing in Inclusive Settings
- CDS 522 Seminar in Orofacial Anomalies
- CDS 524 Language of the School-Aged Child
- CDS 532 Seminar in Early Child Language
- CDS 556 Auditory Technology & Cochlear Implants
- CDS 580 Practical Application of Augmentative Communication Systems and Assistive Technology
- EDU 505 Introduction to Methods of Teaching Students with Cross-Categorical Disabilities
- EDU 549 Foundations of Reading Instruction
- CTE 507 Studies in Autism Disorders