Where am I?
Applied Behavioral Sciences Major
In the Bachelor of Arts in Applied Behavioral Sciences curriculum at Fontbonne University, students learn key concepts from psychology and related disciplines that prepare them to serve a world in need. Our core curriculum teaches students how to think critically, solve problems and communicate effectively. Applied behavioral sciences majors take several core courses in psychology and sociology, then choose from among a variety of additional courses that allow them to apply behavioral sciences concepts in their chosen profession. This major is well suited for students who wish to work in fields that involve human behavior, but who prefer a curriculum that is focused less on conducting scientific research and more on applying the findings of it. Our curriculum also provides a solid foundation for students who wish to continue graduate and professional studies in counseling, sociology, social work, business or related disciplines.
Applied Behavioral Sciences Program Highlights
- The ABS major educates students in the discipline of psychology, and provides the opportunity for them to apply what they've learned to related areas such as human resources, sociology, counseling, or market research.
- Students have opportunities to engage in various experiential learning opportunities, such as psychology labs, internships, service projects and research projects.
- All ABS majors graduate with a career portfolio that helps them obtain the jobs they want.
- This major is extremely flexible; students can complete it in traditional or non-traditional formats, and the courses are specifically selected with each particular student's interests in mind.
- There is no other major like this one in the St. Louis area!
- Child Welfare Specialist
- Case Manager
- Human Resources Assistant
- Mental Health Technician
- Grief Counselor
- Market Researcher
Our graduates are well prepared to enter careers in a variety of fields such as public health, nonprofits and education. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in the applied social and behavioral sciences are expected to grow approximately 23 percent by 2018, so our graduates will continue to be in demand.
Graduate Outcome Data
Around 50 percent of our alumni are employed in careers related to their major, around 10 percent are employed in careers unrelated to their major area but typically requiring a bachelor’s degree, and the other 40 percent entered graduate programs in various fields related to their majors.
Recent graduates of our psychology, applied sociology, and applied behavioral sciences majors are employed at such organizations as:
- Metro Bi-State Development Agency
- The Jane Doe Advocacy Center
- Market Probe Market Research
- Express Scripts
- Giant Steps (supporting children with Autism)
- St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Northwestern Mutual Finance
- Market Strategies International
- Interac (teaching ESL in Japan)
- Great Circle School
- Teach for America
- Veteran’s Business Resource Center
- Sisters of Loretto Catholic Worker Program
- Youth in Need
- The U.S. Army
- The U.S. Air Force Academy
Recent graduates are enrolled in graduate programs at institutions throughout the country. Some programs our recent alumni have enrolled in include:
- Ph.D. program in School Psychology at UMSL
- Ph.D. program in Health Psychology at the University of Rhode Island
- Ph.D. program in Sociology at Yale University
- Ph.D. program in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University
- Ph.D. program in Psychology at SUNY- Buffalo
- Ph.D program in Behavioral Medicine at the University of Southern California
- Ph.D. program in Industrial/ Organizational Psychology at the University of Nebraska- Omaha
- Ph.D. Program in Occupational Therapy at Washington University in St. Louis
- MA in clinical psychology program, SIUE
- MA in clinical psychology program, Vanguard University
- MA in counseling program, UMSL
- MA in counseling program, University of San Diego
- MA in counseling program, Webster University
- MA in counseling program, Concordia University
- MA in counseling program, SEMO
- MA in counseling program, Missouri- Baptist University
- MSOT program, Washington University in St. Louis
- MSW program at SLU
- MSW program at Washington University
- Goldfarb School of Nursing; Washington University School of Medicine
- MA in sociology program, SIUE
- MA in Instructional Technology, SIUE
- MA in Healthcare Management program, SLU
- MA in Kinesiology program, SIUE
- MA in Special Education, Fontbonne University Pathways program
- MA in Criminal Justice program, UMSL
Questions? Contact Admissions: (314) 889-1400 or (800) 205-5862 | firstname.lastname@example.org