Where am I?
Mathematics for Secondary Education Major
Is there a teacher from your past who inspired you to learn, and you would like to do the same for students of your own?
Have you ever wanted to become the teacher you never had?
If your answer to either of these questions is “yes,” this might be the perfect major for you!
A Bachelor of Science in Mathematics for Secondary Education offers a balanced curriculum combining mathematical theory with practical application and classroom experience, at the same time preparing students for Missouri certification to teach high school mathematics.
Early on and throughout your college career, you will have opportunities to actually be inside local high school mathematics classrooms, observing and working with high school mathematics students. Many of the faculty members with whom you will be working have previously had high school teaching experience; they understand what makes a quality high school teacher.
Math for Secondary Education Program Highlights
- Enjoy small class sizes and get all of the personal attention you deserve.
- Work closely with faculty mentors.
- Experience ample opportunities to do classroom observation and tutor students.
- Practice teaching small groups of high school students.
- Participate in professional development.
- Experience computer programming classes with emphasis on coding.
- Learn first-hand about the applications of technology to teaching.
- Enjoy the small-campus feel of camaraderie, community and service.
Area Schools in which Fontbonne Graduates are Currently Employed
- Chaminade High School
- Eureka High School
- Festus High School
- Fort Zumwalt West High School
- Hazelwood West High School
- Kirkwood High School
- Marquette High School
- Parkway West High School
- Pattonville High School
- St. Joseph Academy
- Southwestern High School (Piasa, IL)
- Webster Groves High School
The Alumni Perspective
Scott Borcherding, Hazelwood West High School Mathematics Teacher and Coach, recently received the Greater St. Louis Mathematics Educators Teacher of the Year Award.
In his words: “Fontbonne really prepared me for my teaching career. Not only did I benefit from the professors themselves, but they did everything possible to get me into the classroom for the ‘real’ experiences that I definitely needed to prepare me for eventually teaching in my own classroom. They not only taught me that teaching content is important, but they also taught me that teaching involves preparing students for their futures, instilling values, and developing students who are lifelong learners.”
Interested in learning about other STEM programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)? Explore here.
Questions? Contact Admissions: (314) 889-1400 or 1-800-205-5862 | email@example.com