Where am I?
Employment / OPT / CPT
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year.
There are limited on-campus positions for UNDERGRADUATE students only. To be eligible for on-campus employment, students must:
- Be registered full-time and in good status.
- Make an appointment with Rebecca Bahan, email@example.com.
- Students must be approved to work each semester.
F-1 student visa holders are not permitted to work off-campus unless with specific authorization from an international student advisor at Fontbonne University.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT):
- Student must be pursuing a degree program requiring part-time work experience.
- Student must be registered for an "internship" course prior to beginning the work experience.
- Student must schedule an appointment with a Fontbonne University international student advisor for authorization prior to working.
Optional Practical Training (OPT):
- Students successfully completing a degree program may apply to the Department of Homeland Security for work authorization in their field of study for a maximum of 12 months.
- Students interested in this option must attend an OPT workshop during their final semester.
ARE YOU CURRENTLY ON OPT?
- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires students with approved OPT provide their school’s international office with their employment information – employer name and address within 90 days. Please complete the *OPT Reporting Requirement form*. If you do not reply, the International Center will be required to update your SEVIS record to indicate that you did not reply.
- You are required to notify the Office of International Affairs if you change your address or change your employer at any time while on OPT.
- Please contact the International Center if you leave the USA while on OPT or if you decide to discontinue your OPT.
Translate this page
Share the knowledge!