Where am I?
City Summer Project 2015
A Different Look at St. Louis City Culture
June 8 - 12, 2015
Three college credits available!
What is The City Summer Project by Fontbonne University?
While St. Louis and its surrounding areas may be home to you, we’re assuming you’ve never seen it through the eyes of a sociologist, two writers and a fashion merchandising professor.
The City Summer Project will expose you to people, history and stories ABOUT ST. LOUIS that you may not find familiar. Following these explorations, we hope - through discussion, writing, photography and imagination - you will take away new pictures of the city and new lenses through which to view it.
Join us at Fontbonne University in a week-long summer adventure with fellow high school students and several of our outstanding faculty. We will take field trips to explore the Pruitt-Igoe Project, Washington Avenue Garment District and Bosnia Memory Project.
- Pruitt-Igoe Project … A large public housing project built in St. Louis in the 1950s that was eventually torn down in the 1970s and became a flashpoint for discussion on urban renewal and residential segregation.
- Washington Avenue Garment District … Second only to New York as an American center for fashion design and manufacturing from the late 19th century to the end of World War II.
- Bosnia Memory Project … Dedicated to establishing an enduring record of Bosnian genocide survivors, especially those living in metropolitan St. Louis.
You will discuss, write, photograph...and imagine new pictures of the city. This experience is sure to lead to a deeper understanding of St. Louis city today.
The faculty who will join you during the week have expertise in multiple academic disciplines, so you will have an opportunity to view each experience through many perspectives.
Who is invited?
Select juniors and seniors in high school will join us June 8-12. THREE COLLEGE CREDITS will be available for qualified students!
- Cost is $600 per student.
- Monday, June 8 - Friday, June 12
- 9 a.m.– 3 p.m. each day
- Course is Pass/No Pass.
A typical day will include:
- Writing workshop
- On-campus activities
- Off-campus lunch
- Field trips
Please note this is a day camp. Overnight accommodations are not included.
Questions? 800-205-5862 | email | Fontbonne University | 6800 Wydown Blvd, St. Louis, MO, 63105.